Muskie Mafia Forum  

Go Back   Muskie Mafia Forum > MuskieMafia Forums > Fish Chat

Old 07-04-2009, 06:18 PM

Hammer is on a distinguished road
Default The Assembly

Overpowered by a rush of adrenaline it was like I was struck by lightning all I could think about was the horror. It felt like I had just been scared shitless. I got my clothes packed I check the list raingear, sunlasses, cooler, ext cord,phone charger,Map.Im getting ready to leave tommarow Its 2am I should really get some sleep. Standing there in awe at the sight my rod had doubled over slamming against the gunnel, my drag screamed,and for the first time in a long time I didnt know what to do. As quickly as it started it was over. I reeled in my line as the slip bobber slid off my line into the pocket of brown and yellow leaves on the surface. I decided to leave as I looked down into water where the boulders started to disappear into the darkness of the lake. I suddenly felt small in a big world.

I couldnt fall asleep I envisioned the strike flashing again and again in my head.
As a younger man I ventured into the world at sea I got to spend days weeks months at sea. Getting off my shift it was early morning I went topside to an airy dead silence looking across the horizon nothing within sight not a cloud or a ripple just the sun poking its head out. Under this huge sheet of glass arose a gentle giant. I went up 349 feet to the top of the ship on the stacks and roped off.Dangling in the air staring It was swimming with us looking at us I wondered if it had even seen a ship It looked so curious.The though that It was longer than this ship had me dumbfounded.
Then I remember taking the path through the woods and down the tracks to the quarry It took about an hour I can tell you to this day every boulder every hump every weedpile. I could fish it with a blindfold on.I had a name for every Big Bass there. I lay in bed and wonder what it is about the water there are lots of other hobbies, Then I realize its not a hobby Its a way of life a yearning to explore deep rooted in each of us. As I look over as my partner snores hunched over in the passenger seat i roll down the window I can smell the pines and hear the silence.Then he farts and rolls over, Im glad I had the windows down. We might might not say why we are all here but we dont have to.
It was coming I could see the wall in the distance The water lay still, I could see the swirl as a giant porpoised I reeled in and casted toward the wake I could hear the rumble of the thunder I boated 2 already one more. Lightning in the distance. Wind picked up And sreamed across the lake. By myself Lightning crashing down. What the hell was I thinking.
What drives a man to leave his family his work his home. Its his instinct to satisfy his couriosity his soul. Its the same thing that makes you go back out onto the water at 6 when everyone is coming off and your tired hungry and sunburnt.
But you find yourself there time and time again. Calling off work because there is a full moon at 3pm with a front coming in. Blowing off your significant other because the Topwater bite is on you just got a flat tire but you will be home soon. I feel sorry for the people who cant feel this. As we all sit down and eat drink I relize this is an Assembley of Lunatics who come together to share their sane ideas beliefs stories and it feels good. Thank You